There is a new kid in town (or soon will be) when it comes to RAW photo editing. On1 Photo RAW will soon be the “The future of RAW Photo Editing”… at least that is what they are telling us. It remains to be seen, but considering the quality of the rest of their product line I think there is a good chance it will provide competition to the current king, Adobe.
What’s Different in On1 Photo RAW?
On1 Photo Raw is said to be a new breed of RAW engine. So how does it differ? (please note the statements below have not been tested by myself or anybody outside On1 at this point).
- Speed: First On1 claims that their RAW editor will have superior speed as it has been built from the ground up with high MP cameras and powerful modern processors in mind from the start (claiming the old guard is still using platforms based on old technology).
- Stand Alone: On1 says their new editor works outside of your catalogue. Meaning you don’t have to import into a database just to start working your image corrections (eg: lightroom). This could be of use when working with other photographers so files can be easily passed back and forth between editors. It also allows you to store your images anywhere or all over over the pace.. whatever suites your needs. No “links to source” to keep track of.
- Included Apps: Most exciting to me is the inclusion of non-destructive filters and tools right there in your RAW workflow. Includes all the ON1 apps; Browse, Develop, Effects, Portrait, Layers, Resize, & Photo Via. They are essentially combining the entire Photo 10 suite into this new RAW editor application. It’s going to be a powerhouse.
- Filters: Having reversible, editable, non-destructive filters (effects and portrait retouching) is a big step forward and very welcome to this photographer.
- Tools: Tools often considered the realm of Photoshop (like layers, brushes and masking), will now be included in the editor. Considering these features are already an integral part of the On1 Suite the RAW editor should be starting from a solid base (ie: we shouldn’t see a bunch of growing pains with it’s first release).
- Resizing: They will be including the resize module from On1 which I use often and it unmatched in it’s ability to up-size photos without any visible loss in quality. I’ve tested images up to 800% and still had them come out acceptable. Up to 300% I defy you to see a meaningful difference even at pixel level.
- Compatibility: So what if you are already married to your workflow? On1 says no problem. “Photo RAW will work seamlessly as a plug-in for Adobe Lightroom®, Photoshop®, and Corel®; a standalone host app for Google® Nik Collection and other photo editors; or as an extension to Apple® Photos. Common file formats—including JPEG, TIF, PSD, PSB, PND, and DNG—will be supported and will benefit from the speed and performance of the app”
On1 Photo RAW looks like it could be a real game changer. It certainly is going to make Adobe have to reconsider it’s slow and relatively uninspired upgrades for Lightroom while still demanding we “re-purchase” the program annually (On1 let’s us buy it once and keep it). The addition of established quality filters and tools into the RAW program is not only competition for Lightroom but could mean most “enthusiast” photographers could drop Photoshop as well. Realistically this new program will includes everything that 98% of photographers need. I’m excited to see how this pans out… Too bad it’s such a long wait. See On1 Photo RAW in Action: (click on “see what we’re building”). I encourage you to watch the videos they have. They are short and lacking a lot of detail, but what little they show has me drooling at the mouth for what’s to come.
Price and Availability of On1 Photo RAW:
ON1 Photo RAW will be available this fall. You can Pre-Order ON1 Photo RAW today by becoming an ON1 Plus Pro Member at $149.99/yr. Plus Pro members receive a perpetual license for all ON1 apps (not a subscription) and will be the first to receive the app once it becomes available. If you want to purchase ON1 Photo RAW without becoming an ON1 Plus Pro Member, you can submit your email address on the ON1 Photo RAW web page to get the latest news, videos, beta, and pre-order announcements.
Owners of previous versions of ON1 Photo will have the option to upgrade to ON1 Photo RAW. The upgrade price will be determined at a later date. There will be special pricing for Photo 10 purchasers. Customers will be notified over the course of the next several months providing their upgrade information.
#on1 #photoRAW #rawphotos #photoediting #photography #photographyreviews #softwarereview